mercoledì 3 agosto 2016

Diary of an intern: My internship in the Netherlands

Greetings from Amsterdam!




I am really happy to start this travel journal here in the Netherlands! 
It has been a month that I'm here, working as a Front Office trainee at Renaissance Hotel, and I can't wait to tell you more about this incredible experience and wonderful city!


Now I have to admit it: I didn't think I would have had such a good time here, and now I know it, nothing is what it seems.


When I landed it was pouring: immediately I thought "great, I'm gonna spend here my next 6 months.." really disappointed and scared at the same time of what was expecting me.
But the thing you start to get used to when you have to move frequently, it's exactly that you have so many things to think about at the moment, that you don't care about what is waiting for you tomorrow or the next week ahead.
So, my priority was to settle down in my room and go out straight away exploring to get confident with my new home.





During the first days you get through a thousand opposing feelings.
You want to go back home but at the same time you can't wait to live the new city. You are afraid of your new job because you don't know absolutely nothing but you're willing to learn as much as you can. And again you're afraid of failing but you know as well that trying is the only thing you have to do.
But something incredible happens every time that your shift ends: you feel unbelievably relieved (hopefully) and proud of yourself.
I still need some help in certain situations, but when I manage to do something completely on my own, I just start smiling and the new guest, sorry for saying that, may think that I am giving him a warm welcome, while instead I just cannot hold my happiness.






Another thing that really surprised me is what is actually happening in the Hotel.
I have always been on the "guest" side, so now looking at things with different eyes, totally changed my mind.
To guests' eyes, the reception is responsible for everything, no matter what, we are the melting pot. Don't get me wrong, I used to do the same.. but for sure now I'll think twice before calling them!
My tv doesn't work. Call the reception!
My tour guide is late. Call the reception!
My daughter doesn't pick up the phone. Call the reception!
I want to order something to eat. Call the reception!


So to explain you better, there is the Front Office, which is nice, clean and everything runs smoothly, and the Back Office, where the magic happens!
Back there it seems to be in another place, and the magic is precisely to turn the problem in a clear solution that the lucky one at the front needs to explain to the guest.

Every day is a challenge, and see how flexible and fast we have to be to rearrange things really surprised me.
Rarely I heard a "no" as an answer, because there is always a different solution. Maybe is not exactly what the guest is expecting, but believe me, magic really happens when it comes to find another room!
























1 commento:

  1. Marta, bellissimo il tuo articolo sull'esperienza ad Amsterdam. Ti auguro continui ad essere cosi o meglio! Un forte abbraccio da Clarens, Glenda.

    RispondiElimina